Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Running Away

Ethan ran away from home today. Almost.
It all began when Ethan wanted to go nextdoor to play with a neighbor. I said that would be fine but he needed to put on some pants (he was wearing long johns and pajama shorts). He suddenly got very sad and said that he was running away from home. Here's a bit of how it went:
Ethan: "I'm running away..."
Me: "Your running away? But where will you go?"
Ethan: "I'll go to where uncle Bill used to live."
Me: "But how will you get there? It's a really long way away!"
Ethan: "Umm...I'll maybe walk or take dads truck...or ride my scooter!"
Me: "That would take a long time...how will you get money to eat?"
Ethan: "I'll buy some money."
Me: "Okay...well...I'll miss you. You better take a coat and a blanket."
Ethan: "Nope...I'm okay. Bye." *turns toward the door..scooter in hand...looking very unsure.
I hid by the window and took pictures. He gets to the end of our front walk, stands there for about a minute looking off into the distance

Then he comes back to the door and knocks.
I open the door.
Ethan: "What do you want?"
Me: "What do you mean what do I want? What do you want?"
Ethan: "Do you want me to stay or not?"
Me: "Well of course I want you to stay! Why are you leaving?"
Ethan: "Because you don't let me do whatever I want!"
Me: "Ethan...your 5. Your not supposed to do whatever you want."
Ethan turns back to leave and this time makes it to the mailbox and stands there looking off into the distance.

Then comes back and knocks on the door.
I answer and he walks in and stays.
Then he crawled in my lap on the couch and cried for a good 5 minutes because he was afraid he was going to leave.
=)

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Sometimes as a parent we just have to let them figure it out for themselves...while watching from a safe distance of course. haha
I love the last sentence of how he cried because he was afraid he was going to leave.
Owen has threatened to run away too, and Brayden also. Alex never has, but I'm sure he's thought it. lol
KIDS!!!

D said...

I once ran away. But my parents weren't home at the time. I was back before they were, even though I did take a whole loaf of bread to eat...
:-) great memories!

Grandma Stories said...

I remember running away once- Kindergarten. I remember Nathan running away several times- Kindergarten. It must be the age!!
But I have to say Ethan looks so forlorn....