Saturday, November 29, 2008

Chezneys' little fin'ers

We were at my parents tonight and I had been helping get dinner ready in the kitchen when Chezney decided to climb up on the mantle and burn her fingers on the glass around the fireplace. The poor thing got second degree burns (bubbling blisters) on the pads of her fingers, and the surrounding skin on the fingers have first degree burns. I feel so bad for her. She sobbed almost the whole night shaking her hands and making throwing movements like the was trying to throw the pain off. I know there's nothing I can do to make it better and she is finally resting peacefully...but probably not for long. Once she recoups from the exhaustion of crying, I'm sure it'll all start up again....

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh yes I know how that is. :(
Baby Billy grabbed my curling iron a month ago, and the same thing - the bubbling blisters on the palm of his hand, etc. He kept shaking his hands too and literally cried for an hour or more. :( It's like he couldn't figure out why his hands kept burning. :(
A cold washcloth seemed to help, but he wouldn't let me hold it on for long. Tylenol also helped.

I hope she heals quickly!

Karalee said...

Poor Girl. That's awful. I know a couple of tips just in case:
*Keeping the burn (so her hand) above her heart is suppose to help with the pain.
*Soaking the burn in whole milk for up to 15 minutes at a time or with a milk soaked cloth is suppose to help with pain.
*Be sure to keep clean and dry
*Preperation H (yes, Hemroid Cream)
If you apply to the burn and wrap with a steril, dry bandage. (It's suppose to help speed healing, but might be too risky if she won't keep it bandaged)
*Don't use Ice. Only cold water.

I have a really good burn gel that we sell at the salons. I'll go by and grab a bottle before we leave tomorrow (Sunday) and get you some.

Story said...

Ohh poor little thing. And it is so much harder with children. You just want to take the pain for them. Especially when they are so young...heal fast!

Family Circus 6 said...

Thanks for all the comments
K-
Those all sound like good ideas, but I actually asked a nurse and she said if you put ANYTHING on a burn at all, it will hold the heat in and cause it to get worse. I just thought I would note that to you so if your kiddos ever do, you'll not put stuff on it ;) Great suggestions, though!