Thursday, November 6, 2008

Children and Politics

We have the most interesting conversations on the way to school in the morning. This morning, it was borderline heartbreaking. Danissa heard from so-and-so that Obama wants to kill babies. This has been an ongoing conversation and it continued again this morning. I once again reassured her that this was not true, but that he wanted to make it okay for other people to kill UNborn babies. (which from what I heard but didn't include, he also has approved it up till 1 hour AFTER birth!!!!) SO then she thinks that Obama thinks it's okay to kill ANYONE, so I have to explain how some people believe a babies life doesn't start until it is born and so he makes it okay to kill the babies that have not been born yet, but it's not the same as killing a big person--that's still considered wrong by everyone. She says how that must be sad for the pregnant mommies families that don't agree with her and want to keep the baby. How insightful is this six year old? She contemplates all these things and tries so hard to understand things I don't even think I should be telling her.
Then she starts thinking how it must make God sad but that these people must love Jesus at least a little bit because they are listening to the ten commandments which says not to kill. I explained that we don't know if they love Jesus or not, but that it does make God sad, and then we had to get into Mans law vs. Gods law and how you can be a non christian and still end up listening to some of the ten commandments because they are mans law also.
Holy Cow!!! I think I need to be a politician to answer these questions! I am so overwhelmed at my lack of knowledge and these things I find myself trying to explain so much earlier than I ever anticipated!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

That seemed to be an epidemic going around yesterday between children.
I had *three* little girls at church on Tuesday ask me if that was true - that Obama wants to kill babies...one of them thought he wanted to kill all newborn babies.
And so Alex asked about it too. OH how I didn't want to have this discussion with him..not yet, not at 9 yrs old.
I basically told him the same as you said, that right now in our country it's legal for a woman to choose to end her pregnancy. (thankfully he seemed to understand that and I didn't have to go into what exactly ending a pregnancy meant). I said that Obama wants to keep that choice legal, but he doesn't want to kill babies.
Then I went on into the spiritual side of it as well - saying that we believe abortion is a sin, and that it's not what God wants us to do.

Oh the hard questions! I guess that's part of being a parent. :(

I tell ya though, I'm so upset with the parents who are just telling their children that so-in-so wants to kill babies without explaining it further. What a horrible image to put into a child's head. I think that's uncalled for. It can be explained better and more sensitively - like you and I explained it.